- What is the issue?
- What would you initially say to the student?
- What would you do next?
- Is there anything else you need to consider?
- Note down the issue that the student has brought to you. Listen very carefully and try to work out the importance and sensitivity of the issue; then you can try to work out the next step.
- If the issue is academic, try resolving it at the first tier by speaking with a lecturer/tutor, the faculty office or the course co-ordinator.
- If this doesn’t work, raise the issue at a relevant college meeting (the member of staff responsible for learner involvement within your college will be able to advise you on this).
- If this fails, pass the issue onto the Learning Area Manager for your course or the Dean of your Faculty.